Introducing Executive Chef Fred: The Champion Food Artist

"We live in a fast paced society. We tend to lean towards fast and easy processed foods. Slow down and get back to basics." 

Executive Chef Fred grew up with five brothers in a family that believed everyone should help out so he was forced to learn his way around the kitchen at an early age. Since then, he’s won the gold at National Association of College & University Food Service competitions, cooked an inordinate amount of holiday dinners for over 28 guests, and been to Germany on cooking competitions.

Check out our interview with Tufts’ own Chef-Artist:  

What’s something people wouldn’t know when they meet you?
I love the outdoors. I have a place in the White Mountains, and I go hiking with my daughter all the time.

Favorite food? Comfort foods like Smoked Shoulder

Favorite thing to cook/bake?
Here, I enjoy making Filet Mignon with different sauces. At home, I love making braised short ribs with pasta (made from scratch) and Swiss chard.

Best thing about working with Tufts Dining?
We’re like a family. People work here for many years and get to really know each other and Tufts. I’ve been working here for 26 years and there are people who have been here longer than I have!

Best memory while working with Tufts Dining?
We served Bill Clinton, George Bush, and Bobby Orr (Bruins hockey player). Bill Clinton was unforgettable, he got here earlier than we expected and all of Gifford house, dining included, was on lockdown. He came back and asked for a second dessert!

Do you cook a lot at home?
Yes, I do about 95% of the cooking. My wife “forgot” how to cook after we got married! The other 5% is done by my daughter, she’s learning how to cook from me.

To read more about Executive Chef Fred and our other chef bloggers, scroll through the About page of this blog.